Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Park Closure


Everyone in Grand Lake talked of a two-day closure of Rocky Mountain National Park.  Even if the government shutdown lasts for weeks, the park service has always been kind to local residents and visitors alike.  They will allow people to drive through the park to the town Estes Park, so hard hit by the flood and having Trail Ridge road as its last best access.  And they will not stop visitors from hiking in the park; hikers just have to realize that all services are temporarily suspended and they hike at their own risk.  That was the talk two days ago.  







On the first day of closure, October 1, I hiked the East Shore Trail, from East Shore Trailhead near Grand Lake and returned without incident, reporting wonders from within the national park, which many of you saw, in part, here on the blog. 










Encouraged by a fine day in the closed park, I hiked on October 2 from the East Inlet Trailhead just outside of Grand Lake to Adams Falls and on to Lone Pine Lake, eleven miles in all and returned by the same route. 











With just a quarter mile to go I met a man in a brown uniform with a badge and a national park service insignia.  He asked me where I had come from, as he fingered the gun on his belt.  “From up the trail,” I said. 







He told me that I had broken the law and that he could either give me a citation or arrest me.  I explained that the closure was due to congress’ inability to pass a budget and not due to any environmental impact or danger to hikers.  He said I could go this time, but if he ever saw me in the park again while the closure is in effect, I could go to jail.  








I have not gone in by any means since.  The road through the park is closed, and all trailheads are now marked with signs that prohibit entry.  Everybody in Grand Lake, visitors and residents, are angry.

10 comments:

  1. Sharon, thank you for this clear evidence of ill effect from the Congress' shutdown.
    I'll show this to FB readers.

    In the beginning of this shutdown, a news announcer said social security checks would be paid, but a few days ago or so, I heard the same announcer said if the shutdown continued, the checks might not be issued, or something like that. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is worse than anybody thought here in Grand Lake. The park service has turned into a vicious police force. Everyone is angry or scared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sending just home from Poetry performance... hope the days grow better... and you have some wine!! love,Kathabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was a good day for wine and for hiking. Park Service be damned.

      Delete
  4. Dear Sharon,

    I am so glad we do not have to come to bail you out from jail. What a " story you have to tell us at the Salon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would make a story of it, no matter what happens. You know that.

      Delete
  5. I'm angry and scared and I'm not even there. What an adventure, though, huh? Hang in there, Sharon, and stay out of jail! Love, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stayed out of jail by going to Arapaho National Forest where the rangers acted as national park rangers should. They stayed home and played with the kids or wrote blogs. Why can’t the national park supervisors tell their rangers to be nice, like that?

      Delete
  6. Thanks to the alarm clock inside you the photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, as an artist, your comments on the "abstract art" nature of some of the photographs would be most welcome.

      Delete