Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Farewell to Grand Lake

I came to Grand Lake at the height of the aspen gold rush.  I watched them survive a winter storm, then weaken in shades of brown as the time to leave has nearly come.  They will soon drop those lovely yellow leaves, and I will leave tomorrow for a long drive home.










The same aspens after the storm
Aspens as they were when I arrived
Here are three pictures, taken from the same place, near my cabin, showing the aspens as they were when I arrived, then after the storm, and now in their fading.  










The fading aspens as we all must leave






Thank you all for following these blog posts and for all your comments.









To be Used Later
     Sharon Hawley

The violent surface of a mountain stream
scampering over rocks
water slant and screaming through the trees
eternal moan and wail
streaming down the cold granite
becoming winter
while cliffs rise black above

When I am old and full of sleep
and nodding by the fire
let this scene revive:
only trees of sterner stuff
survive here   

8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you, now that your head is full of aspens! Beautiful poem and images... we leave Thurs morning but back late Sunday night... so see you for a little visit before we leave... or asap after our return! For wine and stories! Miss you! I think you will be in fine time for Chris Wesley's opening which will be a warm taste of home for you! ! Love Kathabela and Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make it home Friday, so will not see you until you return. I do plan on going to the Chris Wesley event.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see you come home, have a save drive back.
    CB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Aspen aspect of your journey and your poem is of course descriptively YOU. Thank you, Sharon. Looking forward to seeing you too, perhaps at Keith's on the 26th?

    Smiles to you,
    Junnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Junnie, I should be there on the 26th. Thanks for following and see you soon.

      Delete
  4. Have a safe (and adventurous??? -- or are safe and adventurous oxymorons?) trip home. I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your stories when you get back. Luv, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe and adventurous are relative terms, I think. Not too safe and not too adventurous--that's it. We each find our own balance.
      I will do a picture show, or two, at Kathabela's, but we have not set dates yet. I hope you can come.

      Delete