Monday, October 7, 2013

Eerie Morning on Granby Lake

I always start early, not by discipline, but by a clock inside me that rings at first light or before.  Yesterday’s adventure started early and avoided the National Park with its armed guards.  I drove to Araaho National Forest and the Indian Peaks Wilderness east of Monarch Lake.   












My morning drive was along Road 6.  The wonders that I photographed along that road, as it follows Granby Lake, will consume this blog post.  The wilderness adventure, which was long and interesting, will have to wait. 




First, let me explain that all of these pictures are untouched, except for cropping, and that I took them with a hand-held Sony NEX-5R.  Pictures which oppose each other, left and right, were taken from the same place with different camera settings.  



All of the pictures were taken facing easterly with the sun just peaking over the mountains, which rise behind the lake.  It is hard to make out the mountains, obscured as they are sometimes by mist, rising and swirling from the lake. 






I felt this explanation necessary so you don’t think I am fooling you in some way.









What is the difference between abstract art and art that simulates reality?  We call it abstract if it uses a visual language to create independently from references in the “real” world.  Photography, like other art, can only simulate; it cannot reproduce, reality.  And here I ask you how photography is different from abstract art.  These images could have been created on a computer or with a brush, but they were witnessed by a camera.


So much of common imagery is merely that, I think.  Common because we recognize it and have names for it.  That which forms in an artist’s mind is unnamed, uncommon, and waits for recognition.

8 comments:

  1. You should send the first picture to a photography competition- according to me it is, by far, the best picture you ever took and one of the best pictures of "a lake in the high mountain" I ever saw.
    Keep the good work!
    Amir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Amir, is it really that good?! I wish you are the judge in some great photo contest. I must admit to becoming entranced in that otherworldly setting.

      Delete
  2. wonderful images~ and experience! Love them all...mysterious and inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They inspire to paint something from real life perhaps.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I am again, in yet another way, very impressed. I love these photos! So fascinating! Love, Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never before seen things like these. I guess that makes them unreal, or does it?

      Delete
  4. My favorites are the last two - - and of course I'm partial to the aspen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Maja, the trip was worth it for the aspens. I was so fortunate to have seen them at their golden glory. The locals said they were more brilliant this year than ever.

      Delete