Monday, September 30, 2013

Loving the Aspens



From the Black Canyon of the Gunnison River, I traveled east over Monarch Pass to Salida, then north to Leadville, and east to Denver for a visit with friends.  Today I drove to my destination at Grand Lake on the south edge of Rocky Mountain National Park.





My timing was perfect for the long drive through Colorado.  Aspen trees, in their few days of brilliant glory before they close down for the winter, dotted the hillsides, punctuating the green conifers.  Sometimes an entire grove of flaming yellow nearly sent me off into a canyon.  I kept stopping, pulling over to take pictures and occasionally watching trees at the expense of safety.  But I arrived without mishap at Grand Lake, and am settled into a small cabin for ten days. 



I came here, as most of you know, because the east side of the Rockies was badly flooded a week before I left home.  Otherwise I would be in Estes Park on the other side of the mountains.  I diverted to the west side intending to hike the backcountry from trailheads along Trail Ridge Road, which connects Estes Park and Grand Lake. 






Estes Park, having lost its eastern access roads, relies on Trail Ridge Road.  But that makes no difference to congress, and tonight the road will be closed indefinitely due to shutdown of the federal government.  It seems I was shut out of the eastern approach to the high country, and am now shut out from the western side also, thanks to the utter failure of our elected lawmakers to do anything.  Others will suffer from this incompetence much more that I will.



Tomorrow I will hike one of the many trails that do not require driving on Trail Ridge Road.  Please do not send flowers, I will be fine.

10 comments:

  1. I am sitting here pretending I am seeing these things for real, feeling the cool breeze on my face and the warmth of the sun on my back. What a wonderful time of year to be there. Sorry about the stupid government stuff, but I know you'll find a way to do something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you, Mina? I hope so. You have a sense of vicarious realness that exceeds many folks' appreciation of being in the wild. Never lose that, it's precious thing.

      Delete
  2. I am quaking in he wake of your aspens..... GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lois, they are "quaking aspen." I hope to get a video showing how they respond to the wind, complete with sound, showing their verbal answers ans their hands flutter"

      Delete
  3. Gprgeous photos, my favorite tree! So similar to the white birch of Poland... My grandma grew two such trees in her garden by the house and I loved climbing them - easy, lots of well spaced branches. The world looks so great from the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Maja, now I must climb an aspen tree. You have given new meaning to my trip to the Rockies. Let the government shut down—Life and aspens go on. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Oh Sharon, what splendid scenery. I echo the first writer, pretending, wishing i were seeing the trees, hearing the rustle, and seeing the vivid yellow jump against the deep blue sky. Former New Mexico and Colorado dwellers will remember that sensation...Michael must be missing
    the aspens, too. I'm glad you are there to observe the fall for us. Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, please ponder Mina's comment above. She is not giving her name, but I think it is Mina because she says, "I am seeing these things for real." It's a talent you and I lack, I think,--to sit in a sad situation and at the same time escape to where we feel life is. Oh, we try, but I think Mina succeeds more.

      Delete
  5. all the yellow
    used up first
    in my paintbox
    too
    aspens

    Trees of light and they are all yours. We have no sympathy. We will not send flowers. (And we can see we should not send trees!)
    I can only begin to imagine a week of aspens... you will come back turned to gold.
    Looking forward to that, sorry the craziness prevents your planned adventures in such a dramatic way... but you've already had such amazing sights, and surely the unexpected wonders and inspiration will emerge as always.. letting loose the plan always let's it happen.. hugs from Kathabela




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow is in fact almost used up in the paintbox, Just a few more green aspen leaves to paint. Then a few days of glory before the bare white stems of winter. I hope that I will be here long enough to see the whole process.

      "Letting loose the plan" -- Yes!

      Delete